Second Floor Extension : Nickel Floor Lamps : Dark Wood Floor Lamp.
Second Floor Extension
- With evidence locations; Quasi-3-D with companion photos
- A room or set of rooms added to an existing building
- act of expanding in scope; making more widely available; "extension of the program to all in need"
- propagation: the spreading of something (a belief or practice) into new regions
- a mutually agreed delay in the date set for the completion of a job or payment of a debt; "they applied for an extension of the loan"
- The action or process of becoming or making something larger
- A part that is added to something to enlarge or prolong it; a continuation
PS 73 K
241 MacDougal Street, Broadway Junction, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Public School 73, an impressive brick and stone structure, is an excellent example of 19th-century school architecture by one of the major practitioners in that field. Built in two sections, the first, at the corner of Rockaway Avenue and MacDougal Street, begun in 1888, and the extension to the east, added in 1895, it was designed by James W. Naughton, the Superintendent of Buildings for the Board of Education of the City of Brooklyn. In its architectural vocabulary it recalls a long tradition of Brooklyn public school architecture.
Public education in New York dates back to the settlement of the area by the Dutch. The New Netherlands' first school was established in 1638 on Manhattan Island, then the center of the population, and it was supported by the Dutch West India Company. In 1649, the people of the colony, acting independently of the governor, Peter Stuyvesant, sent a remonstrance to the States General of the Netherlands which had established the Dutch West India Company, appealing to the States General to redress certain grievances they felt concerning the governance of the New Netherlands and advocating steps to improve conditions in the colony.
Among their recommendations was the creation of a "public school, provided with two good school masters." When the. small settlement in Brooklyn had grown in sufficient numbers, Stuyvesant levied a school tax of 150 guilders on Brooklyn and supplemented this amount with 50 extra guilders. Brooklyn consisted of six separate towns throughout the colonial period and each developed a separate though similar public education system.
Flatbush was the first town to have a school master in 1659, followed by Brooklyn in 1661, Bushwick in 1662, and Bedford-Stuyvesant in 1663. It is from these early beginnings that the present public school system evolved.
Although free public schools did exist, most children received rudimentary education at home. There was a gradual growth in education during the 18th century, but much of it was provided by private schools and tutors forming an independent system of uneven quality.
After Independence, in 1789, the New York State legislature set aside about 40,000 acres of public land which would be sold to provide some funds for the support of schools in the state's townships. Six years later, in 1795, the legislature again set aside funds for '"encouraging and maintaining schools."
However, it was not until the beginning of the 19th century that popular education took root and began to expand. In 1816, the residents of the village of Brooklyn voted to tax themselves to raise money to provide for the organization of a public school. On May 6, 1816 the school was opened on the ground floor of a printing shop on Adams Street near Sands Streets.
From this humble beginning, Brooklyn developed one of the most comprehensive and extensive public education systems of any city in the United States during the 19th century.
Public School 73 is located near what was the 19th-century eastern boundary of the city of Brooklyn, adjoining the Town of New Lots. At that time, New Lots was undergoing a period of significant development spurred by its recent annexation by the City of Brooklyn and the extension of mass transit facilities to the area, which linked it with downtown Brooklyn and the East River ferries.
In 1885, the Brooklyn Elevated Railroad Company opened service from the Brooklyn Bridge to Van Sicklen Avenue and Fulton Street in the East New York section of New Lots. In September of 1889, the Union Elevated Company opened an extension along Broadway from Gates Avenue to the Williamsburgh Ferry. And in November of the same year, the Kings County Company built an "el" from Fulton Ferry along Fulton Street to Van Sicklen Avenue.
These new facilities and the existing streetcar surface system opened the area for real estate development, which in turn led to a major increase in the school-age population. Public School 73 was erected to meet the needs of this population.
The architect of Public School 73, James W. Naughton (1840-98), was born in Ireland and brought to Brooklyn by his parents at the age of eight. After receiving his early education in the public and private schools of Brooklyn, Naughton migrated west and settled in Milwaukee where he worked as an apprentice in the architectural office of J. & A. Douglas.
In 1859, having completed his apprenticeship, he entered the University of Wisconsin at Madison to study architecture. After -two yearns he returned to Brooklyn and continued studying architecture at Cooper Union in Manhattan.. Naughton was active in Brooklyn politics and, for two years between 1874 and 1876, he served as Superintendent of Buildings for the City of
Brooklyn. He succeeded Samuel B. Leonard as Superintendent of Buildings for the Board of Education in 1879 and rem
867-869 Marcy Place
Longwood Extension Historic District, Longwood, Bronx
The facade of this two-story-over-basement, round-bay pair is red brick with limestone trim on the first and second stories, brownstone trim at the basement level (painted on No. 867), and brownstone stoops, now painted. All windows are wood, one-over-one sash,with No. 867 now having aluminum storm windows. Below the brownstone water table are basement windows with plain sills and lintels.
First floor windows have molded surrounds, as well as molded lintels and sillcourses extending across the projecting bays. Door surrounds are edged with egg and dart moldings and are capped with flat pediments supported by carved brackets. Doors are single, wood framed, and glazed, with transoms. Molded enframements surround the top and sides of second floor windows, and join molded sills.
Historic District description:
The Longwood Historic District Extension consists of a portion of a blockfront adjacent to the Longwood Historic District, which was designated in July 1980. The history of development of this blockfront (the north side of Macy Place) is similar to that of the Longwood Historic District. The developer of Macy Place was Theodore Macy, after whom the street is named. Along with the developers of the original Longwood Historic District, George B. Johnson and C. Ball, the Macy family contributed to one of the early urbanization efforts in Morrisania, which had been sparsely populated until the late 19th century. The plans for the IRT subway between the Bronx and Manhattan spurred this early rowhouse development; the completion of the subway and massive population influx in the early years of the 20th century resulted in subsequent apartment house construction, which left the blocks of the Longwood Historic District and Macy Place as one of a handful of isolated, low-scale, rowhouse districts amidst the high density apartment buildings more typical of this section of the Bronx.
The Longwood Extension is clearly linked to the original Longwood Historic District by the design of its buildings. The five nearly identical double houses that make up the Extension (there is also one freestanding house built for John McGrath in 1903 by James F. Meehan) are similar to those that comprise most of the original district.
Designed by the Architect Warren C. Dickerson in 1900, the double houses in the Longwood Historic District Extension exhibit, as do those by Dickerson in the previously designated district, elements of the neo-Renaissance style with an echo of the Romanesque Revival.
The former is represented by the use of the masonry bay, concentration of ornament at doorways, Composite and Corinthian columns, and other classical details. The latter style is reflected by a slight heaviness of proportion and the use of rough-cut stone and arched windows.
The only significant stylistic difference between the buildings in the Extension and buildings in the previously designated district is the lack of false mansard roofs in the Extension.
- From the 1983 NYCLPC Historic District Designation Report
hardwood floor paint
concrete floor grinders and polishers
brazilian oak hardwood floors
floor plans for free
future floor services
bamboo flooring seattle
amazing garage floors